Taking some days off as a sole tester: How does your team manage testing work while you're away?

Say you’re a sole tester in a team and you decided to take some time off (probably you’re craving some pizza from Naples :sweat_smile: )
How do you set things up for your team so they know what to do while you’re away?
I’ll go first:

• I hold discussions related to what testing work would be in progress and how to go about it if related bug fixes are ready while I’m not available
  • I sometimes nominate people who can test, people who I believe hold some degree of expertise in a certain part of the software
  • I also encourage the devs to test each other’s work once they’re done (although this is something that is normally expected as well)
  • Should there be a major impact user story, I would either try to wrap it up before going or list down guidelines on how to test it.

How does your team manage testing work while you’re away?

• some teams were highly reliant on great testing and scared otherwise to release anything; regardless of whomever else and how they were testing; so things were piling up;
  • some teams have had brave people, leads of some sort, who would do a little bit of shallow testing themselves, release, then eventually, a third of the time, patch things as reports were coming in from clients or company people about problems;
  • other teams were switching to having a couple of BAs, coordinated by a PM/BA, that would do some high-level checks of most of the usual use-cases of application in a checklist-style.
  • the teams where there were PMs/BAs with a vast amount of product experience would try to cover some of the shallow testing themselves with a focused 30-minute session.
  • some teams were relying on UI automation - release if that doesn’t show obvious problems; some brief dev check of the changes is enough;
  • in some teams I wasn’t testing, so they have been doing fine without me;
  • some teams would skip any separate testing altogether, as PM would trust the devs to release things.
  • in some teams, an external tester from a different department/team would be requested ;
  • sometimes dev teams ignore testing, and organize themselves to do the regular work, as there’s nothing urgent to be tested and released; so it’s fine if the testing of some changes is done later;
  • but I did have vacation denied several times because no one else could test reliably(identify threats to the quality of the product) and there’s an important release coming up; and when there’s a C level person on your manager - probably no one gets vacation for a while…
2 Likes

Generally our product owner who used to try and do the testing before they employed me (but generally didn’t have the time) would try and keep our Preview: ready for testing lane tested and clear while I am away. The work will eventually end up in Ready for testing: Dev/Live where it will stay until I return so that I can ensure I still test each new workload but no-one has been blocked by that point as all pull requests and reviews have happened.

2 Likes

Hopefully youve been setting things up for success with well documented practices, process and resources so that others can step in and with a little effort assume the role of QA. :smiley: This is something Ive found to be a necessity when being the sole QA resource for an organization.

These are also the moments where I would say to my boss and anyone else above “Wouldnt it be nice if there were two of me? Just a little something to consider come budget season…”

2 Likes

Interesting list of team combinations. I find familiarity in some of these as I worked with a project based company in the past.

I certainly have documented the practices but the thing about documents is that sometimes people forget they exist :sweat_smile:
Or as in my case, the development process withers away leaving the documents built on top of it being not so useful.

1 Like

sigh I feel you.

Sometimes you gotta be a little hard nosed. “If you didnt use the resources I provided, what else can I do?”

One of my many privileges is playing “sad Dad”. I get to go to developers with a sad, disappointed Dad look and ask “Why didnt you follow the process?” eventually they do the things because they dont like “disappointed Dad”

1 Like