Please watch the video before commenting.

Amongst other comments...'manual testing does not require a huge amount of skill...writing automated tests does'.

Please feel free to leave your thoughts!

Link: http://simpleprogrammer.com/2015/01/15/manual-testing-future/

Views: 13351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love this thread! It really is manual testing AND automated testing - not 'or'.

http://qablog.practitest.com/2015/01/bringing-manual-and-automated-...

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to first say thank you for posting my video here. Obviously, we have some different opinions, but I can tell this is a great group of testing experts who really have a passion for what they do.

Some really good insights here and I'm definitely thinking a lot about what many of you have said.

As you can probably guess, my audience is mostly software developers or people who are interested in becoming software developers, so my message is a bit tailored to that audience.

But, I did want to take a moment and say that greatly appreciate the discussion.

Anyway, honored to be in such great company, lots of great minds here and dedicated passionate people.

If I can ever be of any help to any of you, just let me know.

Hi John,

I really appreciate you joining in on the discussion. It shows that you have as much passion for your profession as the people on this forum.

While watching your video I first felt insulted, then I facepalmed. Now that you've explained your intentions, I'd like to go into it a bit further.

Most of the people here and even more in the field have to battle against misconceptions about testing an a daily basis.

Not only team members, whether they develop, manage, test,... but many others see testing in the way that you described. I hope you read in the above comments why this is, at least, not true for all of us.

There's a great number of responsible, professional testers who are working to alter the misconceptions about testing you raised in your video. Many of them are also training the "test-script-executing-testers" to become better and do a better job.
Having someone with a broad reach, such as you, portray the profession (in which I see a very bright future, no less), as a dead-end and advise to get out a.s.ap., is not only a direct attack on these efforts, but can also feel as a slap in the face. Especially if you target an audience of new and aspiring software developers.
Your video might be 'solid and realistic' advice for some people, but it only confirms the root cause of the problem.

I believe you have the heart at the right place, but unknowingly put yourself in the path of other positively passionate people.

Could I suggest you creating a new video explaining that testing has very much grown and is still growing? A video that puts things in perspective. A video that calls the "test-script-executors" to action, to learn and to study their craft. A video that explains that professional testing, be it with automated tools or not, offers many challenges and a path to a variety of testing or non-testing careers.

Thank you again for entering the discussion. I hope you read my comment as positive feedback, not an attack.

Kind regards,

Beren

Agree with you Beren, specially in the message that's being sent to aspiring software developers. 

Sometimes we get caught up inside our own reality and think that's all there is.That's the good thing about these discussions. Talking openly brings different perspectives into the conversation and maybe make us re-examine our perceived reality.

As someone who has over 25 years of Software Test experience I have to say there is a lot of truth in what John said in the video.  But I do think that the recommendation of getting out of "manual" testing for something else is a bit off key.

I know lots of "manual" testers who have had long careers just doing that work.  Some have gone into management or automation and have come back to "manual" testing.  Not because they couldn't cut it as a manager or automation developer but because they liked the hands on work and working with people in general.  Some of them have very technical minds and skills, others don't but are very knowledgeable about the business and its logic/rules. As some others have mentioned (including yourself) there are different paths to take in the software testing profession/career.  And it may appear that a purely manual test role is a dead end, but so is it true in development.  Being a UI developer or database developer can have a dead end as well.  Even Test Automation can have a dead end path (any WinRunner people still doing work?). The key thing you stated that is important for all work is that the person has to take personal responsibility for their career path, that they need to keep "learning".  There is always something new to learn, but at times you make decisions on which things you will learn and leverage in your career.

It's a great post.  Some great truths were relayed, and sometimes the truth does hurt.  But we cannot discount the "manual tester" just yet.  The whole "promise" of test automation is still to be fully realized (even 25 years later like I have seen, and I'm an automaton guy) in our line of work.  And that is a whole other story/saga that is best left for another day.

Future is there,but with less opportunities as automation has come now

RSS

Adverts

© 2017   Created by Rosie Sherry.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service